Anglophone Crisis: 637 Cameroonian Soldiers abandoned their Work as the Crisis continued

637 soldiers ‘desert’ Cameroonian army as Anglophone crisis, fight against Boko Haram persist.


Atleast 637 elements of the Cameroonian army are reported to have deserted between 2015 and 2020, MMI has gathered.

A majority of the deserters MMI learnt were serving in the wartorn Anglophone regions and the Far North Regions of the country.

The figure is contained in a viral document allegedly from the ministry of defense.

The authenticity of this document published by Cameroon’s renowned whistleblower, Nzui Manto has not been ascertained.

However MMI has it on good authority that a good number of government soldiers have been dropping their weapons.

According to report, they include elements of the Marine force, Infantry, Air Force, and the Army rescue.


While some reportedly fled for their lives to look for greener pastures, others are said to have joined the separatist ranks.

“It was not going. It was matter of either staying alife or dying,” a deserted soldier told MMI on the basis of anonymity adding that, ” I had to flee for my life. I am currently in Dubai.”

Quizzed on what made him to desert, he said, “I was constantly being sent to the North to fight Boko Haram. My life was on the line always, so I had no choice but to give up.”

Another deserted soldier who preferred to be called Gaston said: “I decided to quit when I was sent to kill my brothers in the North West Regions. It was a difficult choice but I had to keep my conscience intact.”

The government is yet to react to the document that has gone viral on social media.

By David Atangana

Previous Post Next Post